Well hello there! It’s been strange not to spend much time on the blog. Things are wrapping up with the calligraphy class, so I spent some time today and yesterday refashioning a dress.
I found this plain t-shirt dress at the thrift store for $2. I liked it’s simple shape and the details on the sleeves. It was an XL and just a tad too short for me. Inspired by Liz’s “Taking it Out” tailoring inspiration, I thought it’d be great to make a color blocked dress. Not wanting to waste the perfectly professional hem on the bottom of the dress, I decided a block at the top would be in order.
I had some black floral fabric from JoAnn’s clearance, that coordinated perfectly. It’s a synthetic crepe fabric. It has about the same amount of sheen as the jersey, so it looks like it was meant to be there.
The original dress had a left breast pocket that I unpicked and applied over the color block. I feel like it integrates the two fabrics since it overlaps both of them.
I made the block in the back lower than the block on the right. It adds a bit of asymmetry, which is a little fun.
Since the blocked fabric is a woven, I wasn’t sure if it would fit over my head without a zipper, but it does. Barely. The dress is loosely tailored to the body, so if I decide that I want to make it more tailored, I’ll be adding an exposed zipper in the back. I have a sage vintage zipper that would match the floral print perfectly.
I’m really happy with the results! Color blocking gave the hem another 5 inches, which will make this my go-to dress for chasing after the kiddos in the spring and summer.
- dress: thrifted & refashioned
- belt: thrifted
- shoes: thrifted BCBG