As Christmas is fast approaching (it’s likely too late for this guide, but I don’t care – I want to put this together anyway), I thought I would post the ultimate gift guide for calligraphers, beginners and calligraphy enthusiasts. I’m always scouring the web for interesting things, I may as well share with you my favorite items along with a few that are on my wishlist as well!
For the beginning calligrapher:
- My calligraphy class! :) I’m not above tooting my own horn, but we give a rad gift kit that has all the basics + they’d get 1-on-1 coaching to learn calligraphy the right way.
- leak-proof containers – or any type of container for nibs, ink etc.
- nib cleaners – for cleaning your nibs without all the lint getting stuck between the tines
- brush markers – great for practice on the go
- white chalk pencil – marking out grid lines on darker papers
- see-through ruler with metal edge – for drawing guides and for use with an X-acto
- glitter glue – adding a special touch
For the intermediate/advanced calligrapher:
- a fountain pen – Noodler’s ahab/creaper are great flex pens at an affordable price. Be sure to use with fountain pen ink!
- Desiderata fountain pen – hand-turned fountain pen that can be used with a steel flex nib like the Nikko G (see Schin’s review here)
- A custom turned pen – I have a growing collection of them. Nothing quite like writing pretty letters with a gorgeous pen. Here are my favorite makers: Salvador Mendez | Yoke Pen Company | Unique Obliques | Erika Paulsen
- finetec metallics palette – add a touch of gold to everything
- gouache paints – write in a rainbow of colors
- Fancy paper – Clairefontaine triomphe and Rhodia are favorites of mine
Grow your library with these must-haves:
- An Elegant Hand
- Modern Calligraphy
- Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy
- Ornate Pictoral Calligraphy
Everyone loves pretty letters. Grow your art collection from one of these fabulous artists: